Where I write

Where I write

October 24, 2011

Yard Sales are My Weakness


On Saturday I stood in a hot asphalt parking lot in 92 degree heat trying on this glitzy sequined jacket. Visions of the coming holidays danced in my head. With November right around the corner, people in Arizona begin to believe it truly might be possible to walk outside without the sun melting them into nothing more than a pool of sweat. Along with the belief that cooler temperatures are just around the corner, comes people flinging open their doors and having yard sales. I love to shop, but I love a bargain. It just kills me to pay full price for anything. Maybe that comes from living as a hippie during my formative years. Or maybe because I know that one day I might have to rely on social security and that ain't going to be much.

I know some people turn their noses up at used clothing, and I respect that, but not me. So, on this hot fall morning last weekend, I went to a giant community yard sale in a church parking lot and found this jacket covered in sequins.

The woman wanted $7 for this shiny jacket. I offered $5. She balked at my price. Okay so I'm cheap. I walked away, but the jacket kept calling my name. It sparkled in the hot Arizona sunshine. I  returned and asked again. (I have no shame). She told me this was her sister's jacket. Her sister, she said, was too old to wear it anymore. How old is your sister?  65. Hmmm. Am I getting too old to wear a sequined jacket, too? Or am I right on the cusp? Now or never I thought. I paid full asking price. Now I'm hoping the right place to wear may come along (build it and it will come theory) and with it weather cool enough to wear it without fainting.

While debating on whether to buy the glitzy jacket, I bought this for 25 cents. I thought I'd put it on my desk to remind me how fast time flies  (another good reason to buy that jacket!) If this saying doesn't get me to revise my novel, I'm not sure what will.  The plaque reads:
            Every Morning you are handed 24 golden hours.
           They are one of the few things you get free of charge.
            If you had all the money in the world,
            you couldn't buy an extra hour.
            What will you do with this priceless treasure?
             Remember, you must use it, as it is given only once.
            Once wasted, you cannot give it back.

Then I bought this because, well, because I like anything with glitter. And the older I get the more I'd like to strive to find more of this in myself. And it reminds me of Christmas. Another bargain at 10 cents.

Yes that is actually fish coming out of the painting. The woman selling this (different gal than the one with the jacket) said her father kept it in his office for years. Maybe he sold fishing gear. Anyway, I paid a whopping two dollars for this beauty. It makes me smile each time I see it because it is so tacky. We all need silly in our life and this reminds me to lighten up.

For all these treasures I spent less than ten dollars. Such a small price for so much fun. And it all went to a good cause. My kind of shopping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a total sucker for garage sales and getting a deal, too! I will bargain down to the last possible cent and I refuse to pay full price for anything. I don't know if I'm just a cheapskate or if I just love the challenge. :-)

You got some great stuff!

SunsetCindi said...

Love that jacket, you'll find the perfect place to wear it! Your eclectic taste in art is so fun, if you can't laugh, then what's life for!!