Where I write

Where I write

March 24, 2011

The Kitchen from Hell

Waitressing has given me excellent acting sills. The back of the house, is the kitchen, with the sound of dishes and pans clattering, people shouting, cooks yelling, managers threatening. Food is spilled and sloushed and slammed on to plates. The front of the house, where the people dine, there is hip music, low lights, people conversing, and the sound of quiet chewing. I go back and forth between these two worlds, alternating between the brash, bright kitchen and the subduded dining setting.
What does this do to my personality? Am I able now after years of practice to just turn off and on my emotions these days? One minute demanding the surly chef prepare a poorly-cooked steak again and the next smiling sweetly at a table asking my customers if they are happy? The switch of my personality flips off and on.
Maybe this helps my writing. I can go from writing one character as a sunny happy gal and the next write about her evil lover's nasty intent. This back and forth between dark and light has to be worth more than the tips I earn.

No comments: